I was trying to upgrade my Ubuntu installation to 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal), and the update manager (Muon) kept failing with error messages like:
dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable.
dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable.
dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable.
Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin.
which ldconfig as root returned /sbin/ldconfig, and of course, root‘s $PATH had /sbin in it, so, couldn’t think of a reason why the updates were failing. But a bit a googling led me to the sudoers file (/etc/sudoers)
Muon, and in turn apt-get, use sudo for installing stuff. And sudo starts with an empty/default ENV, if it’s either been compiled with –with-secure-path, or if env_reset has been set in the sudoers file. In my case, env_reset was set in the sudoers file, so, sudo‘s ENV didn’t have /sbin in it. In case of env_reset, you should provide a secure_path, which’s the $PATH that any sudoed process would use. So, after the fix, my /etc/sudoers looks like:
In case you’re seeing the error, but don’t have env_reset set in your sudoers file, then it’s likely that your version of sudo was compiled with -with-secure-path. To see the options that your version of sudo was compiled with:
$ cat /usr/share/doc/sudo/OPTIONS
I just set-up my new MacBook Pro, running OSX Lion (10.7.3), for Rails development. Installed rvm, installed Ruby 1.9.3 using rvm and did a gem install rails -v 3.2.3. Everything went fine, until I tried to create a new rails app.
rails new <app_name> would create the app structure, but would then fail with a segfault in http.rb. Here’s what the stacktrace looked like:
run bundle install
/Users/CodeMangler/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p125/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/http.rb:799: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.9.3p125 (2012-02-16 revision 34643) [x86_64-darwin11.3.0]
— Control frame information ———————————————–
c:0038 p:—- s:0217 b:0217 l:000216 d:000216 CFUNC :connect
c:0037 p:0011 s:0214 b:0214 l:001570 d:000213 BLOCK /Users/CodeMangler/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p125/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/http.rb:799
So, the failure was while doing a bundle install at the end of creating a new rails application, which’s new in rails (to me anyway. It’s been a while since I last looked into rails).
Googling for ruby segfault in http.rb pointed towards issues with OpenSSL. Then I found this post that describes how to fix the issue: http://www.rojotek.com/blog/2012/01/20/how-to-get-openssl-in-ruby-1-9-3-working-on-osx-10-7-fixing-the-segmentation-fault-with-ruby-openssl/
It tuns out, you’ve to install the openssl package for rvm, and then, while installing ruby, point it to use this version of OpenSSL.
To quote steps from the post:
$ rvm pkg install openssl
$ rvm remove 1.9.3 # uninstall the existing version, if you've installed one
$ rvm install 1.9.3 --with-openssl-dir=$rvm_path/usr --with-gcc=clang
Do that, and you should be all set. I tried creating a new rails app after that, and it went through just fine. Also, from googling, it appears that if it’s a segfault in http.rb, it’s most likely due to OpenSSL.